Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Beginning

 During my junior year of high school I was introduced to the Pine Street Inn, a homeless shelter in Boston. That morning, working on the women's side of the Inn, I began to realize how big of an issue homelessness is in Boston. In my home town there are no homeless people so my first morning at the Pine Street Inn, I was forced to realize that many people in the Boston area are without homes, without money, without anyone to take them in. Old women, women in wheelchairs, and young pregnant women all came through the line, some talkative, some shy, some upset, and many smiling.
I was pulled in by the Inn, the homeless, something so unfamiliar to me as a junior in high school. Now, as one of the two leaders for the Pine Street Inn group at my school, I love it just as much as I did that first time. The mornings spent at the Inn hold a special place in my heart. Homelessness is an issue many people are not exposed to, and many do not understand how evident it is in cities all over the world.

1 comment:

Lori A. said...

Brook, I was very moved from what I read on your blog post. Homelessness and hunger and other situations brought on by poverty are difficult for most of us to comprehend. While these conditions are easier for us to accept as reality in countries other than our own, as you witnessed firsthand, these problems exist, as the saying goes, "right in our back yard." I wish everyone had the opportunity to experience reality at the PSI - a glimpse of what some people deal with everyday. I'd love to learn more about the group that goes to the PSI. How many students are involved? How long has the program been running at DS? You’re off to a great start with your blog; I’m looking forward to returning soon to read (and learn) more! Mrs. A.